Zenwalk Linux is the new name of the project "Minislack Linux". Zenwalk is based on Slackware, a robust Linux distribution faithful to the spirit of Unix. Zenwalk is recognized today as one of the fastest distributions available in binary version.
Zenwalk is designed with the following objectives:
- Be simple and fast
- Provide one application for one task on the install CD
- Be a complete development/desktop environment
- Be small so that it can be distributed on a single CD
There are 3 versions of Zenwalk.
- Zenwalk (full version, ~ 430 MB ISO download):
Zenwalk is a complete system. Out of the box, you will be able to browse, mail, chat, listen to music, program in C, Perl, Python, Ruby,.. watch videos in various formats, write documents, print, scan, burn CD and DVD, connect your camera and edit your photographs, without adding anything. Coders will like the full set of development libraries and interpreters.
- Zenwalk Core (~ 180 MB ISO download):
Zenwalk-core is is a Zenwalk system without X applications. Zenwalk-core is intended to be used as a starting point to build a custom desktop or server system, for users with limited disk space, or perfectionists desiring to build a desktop system themselves.
- Zenwalk Live (~ 480 MB download ISO):
Zenwalk Live, a system, that works straight from CD, without installation on hard drive. It designed for examination with Zenwalk Linux, and includes all components of desktop system. The Live Edition also includes extras such as system recovery tools, partition tools, video games and much more...
Some features of the 5.0 release are:
- Kernel: Linux 184.108.40.206, glibc 2.7
- Xorg 7.3
- XFce 4.4.2 Desktop Environment
- Freedesktop Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL)
- Development: gcc 4.1.2, Python 2.5, Perl 5.8.8, GTK2 2.12.2
- Editors: Geany 0.12, Bluefish 1.0.7, Mousepad 0.2.14, Vim 7.1
- Internet: IceWeasel-220.127.116.11, IceDove-18.104.22.168, Pidgin-2.3.1, Transmission-1.01, Gftp-22.214.171.124
- Multimedia: Gnome-Mplayer-0.53, Streamtuner,-0.99.99 Asunder-1.0.1, Brasero-0.7.0
- Office: Abiword-2.4.6, Gnumeric-1.8.0 (OpenOffice is available as extra from the netpkg repositories)
- Out of the box support for Intel (TM) wireless device firmware